Case Study: A Stannah Goods Lift Solves Bike/Bin Storage in City Office Refurb
Where do bikes and bins go in slick commercial buildings in space-strapped cities?
A big question answered by a Stannah Goodsmaster 1000 CD Plus goods attendant lift in the revamped Kings House office building in central London.
The 1000kg through-car lift moves bicycles and a 1100 litre wheelie bin between the ground floor and the basement storage facility in this extensively reconfigured and refurbished building located on King Street.
When it comes to bike/bin storage, Stannah goods lifts are on the rise, as Marketing Manager Jo Monro comments:
“Stannah’s heavy duty goods lifts are an increasingly popular choice with architects and specifiers when planning the storage of bikes and bins. In Kings House, our Goodsmaster supports the aesthetic, smooth-running and security of the six workspaces ranged over six floors, all with 24-hour access.”
The Goodsmaster CD Plus was specified by international multi-disciplinary consulting engineers Cundall, as Graham Barker , Director of Vertical Transportation, says:
“Cundall’s vertical transportation team specified the lift requirements for the building. A part of this requirement was the provision of a goods lift to enable movement of the building’s waste bins between the Ground and Basement floors. Due to existing site restrictions, the provision of pit depth for the lift was a significant issue.
“Cundall developed a design which called for a goods lift complete with attendant control facility.
“Following a competitive process Stannah was appointed to provide the building with their Goodsmaster Plus CD product.”
The traction lift offers robust, secure features to ensure safe handling and movement of the Kings House workload:
- Concertina and shutter doors: double protection during travel
- Hard-wearing grey baked enamel with heavy duty chequer-plate steel floors, wood buffer panels: built to withstand daily bumps and bashes
- Recessed strip light ceiling, simple-to-use constant-pressure buttons, emergency stop button, grab rail - easy, safe use for bike and bin handlers
- Through-car configuration: maximises versatility
- Traction chain drive: combines increased efficiency and power with low-cost maintenance—the ideal solution for locations where headroom is limited
- Installed within its own rapidly erected, self-contained steel structure: just days to install (subject to builder’s work)
Stannah goods/bike/bin lifts bring many benefits—the lift platform can be virtually the same size as the load, and the goods attendant lift also carries up two people.
Importantly, underground bin storage significantly reduces vandalism and littering, and the cooler subterranean temperatures minimise the distinct bouquet that can favour such areas.
Stannah goods lifts come in various sizes to accommodate two or three residential wheelie bins, with larger units for apartment buildings and commercial use.
As with all Stannah lift products, the Goodsmaster CD goods lift is covered by Stannah’s comprehensive lift service plan, which includes four service visits in the first year, with continued lift maintenance by the London and South East (Dartford) branch of Stannah Lift Services, part of a nationwide network providing comprehensive lift servicing and support.